3. April 2010

Week 2/52: Farfalle with sun-dried tomatoes and spinach

Facing an Easter weekend with tons of food at various places, I opted for something simple and consulted the pasta book. I love pasta for some very simple reasons: first of all, pasta is not rice. Now don't ask how that goes along with my name. It is one of those "keep your friends close, but keep your enemies closer" thing...

Then pasta is tasty without anything else. Well, maybe a little red wine pesto, but basically, it makes a perfect meal without having to fuss about grocery shopping or ingredient chopping.

This week, with one quarter of the year coming to an end and an important trade fair looming at the horizon, I spent a lot of time at the office and when I was finally home on Thursday, time was an issue and hunger was burning, so I chose the quickest recipe I could find. Read: selected the third I read which was the first that featured ingredients I had in the house.

All you need is love, plus:
  • 500 g Farfalle (this is a recipe for six, so do your own math)
  • 3 green onions, sliced (or whatever you call those)
  • 50 g sun-dried tomatoes, cut into stripes
  • 1 kg spinach leaves, cut into stripes (make sure to use fresh spinach: easier to cut than frozen leaves)
  • 50 g pine nuts, roasted
  • 1 teaspoon fresh oregano
  • olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon fresh chilies, chopped
  • 1 garlic clove, mashed (I know, don't EVER mash garlic, but for an olive oil dressing, it is just better to use a battlefield of garlic)
















While the pasta is cooking, everything else can be cut and roasted, so make sure that you need not run to the bathroom to wash off the day or sit down to read e-mails. Concentrate, Ms. Basmati.

Add onions, tomatoes, pine nuts and spinach stripes to the pasta. Stir.

Drink some wine to get into the mood.

Mix oil, chilies, garlic, salt and pepper in a shaker and pour the dressing over the pasta. Drink more of that wine. Mix the pasta and serve. Preferably with wine.

12 minutes and life is good.

I can easily picture this in a cold version as a barbecue summer salad. Yummie. The geek did not like it with parmesan cheese, but honestly, what does not taste better with parmesan cheese?

However, the dish is a little to inoffensive and smooth. Everything just kind of blends into an overall sensation of a comfy pillow. If you know what I mean. But I am sure it will be seen again on the Basmati-table.

Guten Appetit

Kommentare:

  1. Great recipe! Will try it some day!
    Enjoy the holidays!
    Juli

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. "500 g Farfalle (this is a recipe for six, [...])"

    You, or rather the Pasta Book, must be kidding. Who's coming for dinner - Snow-White and 5 of the seven dwarfs? Other than that this sounds tasty and quick. It increasingly looks as if we should do an ICT-Staff-Revival-Dinner one day.
    Sven

    AntwortenLöschen
  3. I am so glad that I am not the only one who believes that this feeds 2 only! And there was even bread involved. Did I mention the desert?

    AntwortenLöschen