11. April 2010

Week 3/52: Lamb on a lazy sunday


It was a lazy Sunday afternoon and I managed to read through my new Greek cookbook. I love it. I may marry it, if the marriage with Excel fails...

The best part about it: lots of meat. I think I could not be a vegetarian, even though I survive many days without thinking about meat. But in the end, it is an essential part of my diet. Sorry, piglets and cows!

On Sunday, stores are closed in Germany, so I had to pick a recipe that would not require too much imagination concerning the replacement of unavailable ingredients. So I ended up with:

Lamb Stew with Cinnemon and Wine

Having to feed just the two of us, I used:

500 g lamb, cut into pieces
2 Tsp flour 

2 onions in rings
1 garlic clove chopped
Olive oil
 300 ml red wine
2 Tsp red wine vinegar
1 small can chopped tomatoes
1 Tsp cinnamon
50 g raisins
1 bay leaf
salt + pepper

Sauce:
150 g Greek yogurt
2 garlic cloves
salt + pepper

For the meat:
Put the lamb pieces, pepper and the flour into a plastic bag and shake until all the meat is covered in flour.

Sweat onions and garlic in olive oil and add the floured lamb. Let roast until the meat is nicely brown on all sides, which is about 5 minutes.

Add wine, vinegar and tomatoes and allow to reboil before you add the raisins, the cinnamon and the bay leaf. Season with salt and pepper.

Stew for 2 hours. In the meantime, mix the pressed garlic with the yogurt and season the sauce with salt and pepper. I know, many of you will jump to their feets and shriek with horror: press garlic. How can she commit such sin and raise the wrath of the God of Garlic? I can. Actually, I do it all the time, eventhough I have heard of the myth that you should only chop it. But do I taste the difference? No. So this recipe serves both: chopping and pressing. How diplomatic food can be.

With the break of 2 hours, it is BTW a perfect Sunday dish. You can do so much relaxing in between and still have a grand dinner at the end of the day. Lovely.

We served it lamb with rice, but fresh bread would be perfect, too. And a salad. And look, there is an open bottle of wine.

For us, there was a bit too much cinnamon, so I'll use only half of it the next time. Yes, there will definitely be a next time!

Kommentare:

  1. Uuuuhuuu war schon lang nicht mehr bei dir und hab's gar nicht wieder erkannt, ist schön geworden die Umgestaltung.
    Und das Essen erst-Huuuunger!

    Hab noch nen schönen Sonntag
    GlG
    nicole

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. Warte bis Du weißt, wie es schmeckt :-))

    AntwortenLöschen