16. April 2010

Week 4/52: Wild garlic soup

So I was left with a lot of wild garlic and no idea what to make with it. Other than escape the smell once cut. So I reverted to the one and only soup recipe that is always good for using up things I don't know what to do with.

3 potatoes, diced
2 onions, diced
3 Tsp butter
700 ml vegetable stock
1 cup of cream
salt+pepper

This week's secret ingredient: 1 bunch wild garlic, chopped

Sweat the onions in butter, add the potatoes and stir fry for about 5 minutes. Then add the vegetable stock. I often try to mix the broths and use vegetable and chicken, for example, aiming for a richer flavor. But then again it also depends on which of the broths I have is about to expire.

Cook until the potatoes are done, which should be about 10 minutes and add the cream. Isn't it always the grandest sight to add a lot of cream to whichever dish you are preparing? You can feel the fat cumulating on your hips, but oh how I love you, cream!

Add about 2/3 of the wild garlic and set the rest aside for decoration.

Then mash or purée or whatever it takes to make a creamy soup out of it.

Last, stir some of the garlic under the soup to add a little texture to its look. I like to see what I eat, so I like to have some of the actual green bits of the garlic left to add at the end instead of mashing everything into the communist look of beige conformity. The very last bits of the garlic are added when the soup is on the table, with a spoonful of crème fraiche.

Tastes fantastically like spring and was gone in an instant. I did not even have time to take a picture of it. Just trust me: good.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen