24. Mai 2010

Week 9/52: Tonsil Tomatoe Soup

As a kid, I used to dream of having a tonsilitis, read: being allowed/forced to eat as much ice cream as I want. Turns out, having a tonsilitis is not as joyful as I thought.

Yes, there is lots of ice cream. But that is about the only thing I could eat. Everything else was either too hot, too solid, too spicy, too crunchy, too everything else but ice cream. And that is were the happy part ends when it comes to tonsilitis.

So after a few days with only ice cream and carefully nibbled white bread, I consulted my favorite cook book and found just what I needed:

Yogurt Tomatoe Soup

It is easy to make, creamy enough but more substantial than ice cream and tastes hot as well as cold. Perfect. Off you go:

4 large tomatoes
2 Tsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, chopped
300 ml vegetable broth
2 dried tomatoes, chopped
1 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp cinnamon
salt and pepper
300 g Greek yogurt

I love about this recipe that "chopping" can be taken very lightly as blending is involved later, that the tomatoes is not indicated in a weight unit and that basically all the ingredients are variable. At least I think so.

You are supposed to grade the tomatoes into a bowl and throw away the skin. BUT I WAS SICK. So I just chopped them and ignored that part. The blending takes care of all your worries.

So heat the oil in a pan, add onion and garlic parts and stew for about 5 minutes. Then add the tomatoes and stew for another 5 minutes.

Then add broth, dried tomatoes, thyme and cinnamon - who would have thought that the Greek kitchen features so much cinnamon? - and season with salt and pepper. Cook for about 10 minutes.

Let it cool for a bit and blend it in a blender, mixer, KitchenAid or whatever. It'd love to use a KitchenAid, but that is a wish Santa has not listened to so far. Add the yogurt and mix. The yogurt need not be Greek. I used regular yogurt and even added some leftover cream.

















Now if you want to serve it hot, make sure that it does not start to bubble up, as the yogurt will then clot. If you want to serve it cold, put it in the fridge for 3-4 hours. I used both: hot for him and cold for me, so I just heated it and then let my bowl cool down. The geek was all fancy: cut up some tomatoes, sprinkled them with spices and used them to decorate the soup. Basically, the bits just vanished in the soup, but it was a nice gesture.

It was delicious and will for sure be found again on our table. Both hot and cold.

Guten Appetit!

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen