24. Oktober 2010

Week 29/52: Chili con carne

Dear Mrs. Novemberregen, I am really sorry. Just the other day you told me that you try the recipes I write about here, which makes your kitchen a Basmati-kitchen about once a week. This week, I tried your chili recipe, so there is nothing new for you here! I'll try to do better next week, I promise. And by the way: your chili is great. Everyone loved it and there were no leftovers whatsoever!

There is little you need:
2 onions, diced
500 g ground beef
1 garlic clove, sliced
3 bell peppers, diced
2 small cans of tomatoes, preferably diced
2 small cans red beans
salt, pepper, sugar, paprika, tabasco, cayenne pepper, chili
and some sour cream for decorative purposes

You can print this picture and use it as a shopping list:


Ok, dice the onions and fry them. I used chili oil for frying, which I thought would be wise. I cannot say if it made a difference for the taste, but it made me feel smart. 8 onions, diced, looks like this:


Add the beef and season with salt and pepper. And paprika and cayenne pepper. As you can see, I used several pans before mixing everything in the final pot. Wise idea if you work wok 2 kg of meat.


Add the tomatoes. If you make the chili for, let' say, 24 people, use a very large pot.


Add the bell pepper and cook for a few minutes. I fried 500 g beef at a time and added bell pepper to that before dumping it into the tomatoes. Worked well for me.



Add the beans and cook for another 10 minutes.


I am such a nice host, I think of my vegetarian guests, too. For the vegetarian version, I used corn instead of meat. Noone protested. After the vegetarians were done, I just put this chili sin carne into the meat pot and everything was fine.


I offered sour cream as a topper, which was a really great idea for all those who did not hear follow my friendly advise to use the dried chili peppers only very sparingly. As in: don't even turn the mill a quarter of a turn. And originally I had planned to cut up one bell pepper as topping, too, but that seemed so much work in the end. I rather put on my favorite dress and welcomed the first guests.

What can I say: no leftovers, so I think I can call this a successs! I will make it again soon, as it makes me feel so prepared for winter.

And Mrs. Novemberregen, did you know that most of the original chili con carne recipes do not use ground meat? So next time you are planning to basmatify your kitchen, you could try to use beef cut into squares, as for a goulash, and pretend it is an all new dish. Hooray for self-deception.

Guten Appetit!

Kommentare:

  1. IknowIknow (about the meat chunks) (but I thought I would not show off in someone else's blog). Corn for the veggies is a great idea, I usually take "shredded soy" but it looks so similar and after a few beer, you know... difficult. Corn next time. In November.

    Glad that you (and your guests) liked it :-)

    AntwortenLöschen