31. Oktober 2010

Week 30/52: Meatloaf with a ketchup glaze

Some time in the Eighties I watched Alf and fell in love. Not with Alf, but with the Tanners and their American way of life. Sorry Mortensons, it wasn't you. I loved you just for yourselves.

However, it was back then that I also fell in love with meatloaf. What a perfect dish: it involves lots of meat, bakes itself in the oven without much tending and it is so versatile in its ingredients. Except for the meat.

The other day, The Pioneer Woman introduced me to the ketchup glaze version and I felt that it was time to make meatloaf. It is a dish for the colder parts of the year, and since we have officially changed to winter time, we have also changed to meatloaf time. Meatloaf is definitively something for the colder parts of the year. Or the day after another day, between two slices of bread. I heart meatloaf.

To feed four, you need:

1/2 cup milk (for metric measurers, that is about 1/2 small coffee cup, not a mug)
2 toast slices
500 g ground beef
1/2 cup grated Parmesam cheese
1/4 cup minced parsley
2 eggs
6 bacon slices
3/4 cups ketchup
3 Tsp brown sugar
1 teaspoon dry mustard

How to:

Tear the bread into smaller pieces and soak in milk for a few minutes.


Whisk the eggs. Have I introduced you yet to my favorite whisk? It is perfect for smaller amounts of things to whisk, like an egg or two, when I don't want to use regular whisks. It makes me feel so much more professional than a fork would do in the same circumstances.


Mix the eggs with meat, bread, Parmesan cheese and parsley using your hands. Yes, cooking is dirty. Season with salt and pepper. I tend to use bowls that are too small and use less salt then needed by the geek. You don't need to follow that path.


Form a loaf with the meat mixture. I normally use a normal baking sheet with baking paper, but I guess that a broiler sheet would be better.


Now comes my favorite part: Cover the meat with more meat. I instantly fall in love with what I do at this exact moment.


Then in a not too small bowl stir ketchup, brown sugar and mustard. I had run out of mustard and used cocktail sauce which seemed ok to me and no one noticed. Who'd have thought there were not king prawns around?


Pour about a third of the ketchup gravy over the meatloaf. Put the rest aside for later.


Bake for 45 minutes. If you use a broiler pan, your meatloaf would look more pretty and less greasy at its sides.


Then glaze it with another third of the gravy and bake it for another 15 minutes.


Did I mention that I like meatloaf? And I remember how my mother used to make it with hard-boiled eggs inside, which looked really great to my kid's eyes. So you see: unlimited possibilities.


We served it with broccoli and potatoes. I had spared a third of the gravy for dipping which turned out to be a good idea. The geek would have liked the bacon to be a bit more outstanding, but he ate it anyhow. Good boy.


Guten Appetit!

Kommentare:

  1. Ich möchte das bitte essen. Danke.

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. so it wasn't the Mortensons...:(
    that's okay we LOVe you anyways all these years later!!! And that meatloaf looks yummy enough I'll have to make it this week, if the fellas are lucky. When you come to visit us again sometime, you will HAVE to have Raul's (Eric's dad) meatloaf that he makes for dinner - YUMMY!!!

    AntwortenLöschen