14. November 2010

Week 32/52: Jamie's Painted Hills Potatoes

The other day, Friday to be specific, I sat on the couch wondering what to make for dinner. And see what Jamie suggested: colorful things with dark dust on top. Which translates into Painted Hills Potatoes.


Nice, right? Making painted hills potatoes is really easy and it turned out to become one of the geek's favorite potatoe recipes. I like.

For two, all you need is love, plus:
olive oil
1 red onion, sliced
potatoes for two, sliced
2 bell peppers, sliced (I suggest red and green, as the potatoes are already yellow)
salt, pepper, oregano
rosemary
150g grated parmesan cheese (or much less than that, I used only about 50 g)
250 ml vegetable broth

Except for all the slicing, it basically prepares itself. Perfect.

How to:
Preheat the oven to 200°C and oil a casserole.

Slice everything in front of you given that potatoes, bell pepper and onions are in front of you, not the casserole.


Place one third of potatoes, onion and bell pepper into the casserole, season with salt, pepper and oregano and sprincle one third of the rosemary and the cheese on top. See how much cheese I used? That was really enough.


Repeat another two times, then add the broth and if you like, some butter. I'd say sprinkle with butter, but that seems difficult to realize, so just add some.

Then cover the casserole with a lid or aluminum foil and bake for about an hour. Jamie's recipe is for 6-8 people and he puts it into the oven for 90 minutes. With less of everything, 60 worked fine for me. After those first 60 minutes, remove the cover and brown for about 15 (Jamie: 20) minutes. I made bratwurst with it, so I started the bratwursting process when I uncovered the potatoes. Perfect timing.


The potatoes were well done and all the different ingredients could be tasted without one of the them being the supreme ruler of the mix. The cheese made a subtle difference, I guess that is what won the geek over. That, or the bratwurst. Or the ketchup. Or the beer. Not sure right now. But I am pretty sure that this will be served again, soon!

Want some more impressions? Here:


And here:

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen