5. Dezember 2010

Week 35/52: Cornbread with Baked Beans

It has been snowing all day today and if you know where the emperor's town is, you know that this is normally an unusual happening. But that was before the beginning of this year when exceptions proved the rule and the snow lasted until what felt like May. Or June. Which may have been early April or late March.

And now we are back being buried under snow WHICH TOTALLY IS A FIRST-CLASS WESTERN EUROPEAN EXAGGERATION. I'll stop wining now.

Snowy weather calls for special food that warms my heart. So the solution was: Cornbread with baked beans. And a salad.

For the cornbread, you need:
1 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup flour
1 tsp salt
1 Tsp baking powder
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup milk
1 egg
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup butter

For the baked beans, you need:
As many cans of baked beans as suit your hunger. Which was 1 can for the two of us.

Now go assemble all your ingredients and preheat the oven to about 200°C.


In a bowl, mix cornmeal, flour, salt and baking powder. As all of the ingredients are either white, off-white or yellow, the following pictures will not be as entertaining as you'd expect them to be. Sorry about that.


In another bowl, stir buttermilk, milk and the egg. Use that tiny whisk for the stirring and add the baking soda. And yes, I used white bowls to stick to the overall color scheme.


Now how about pouring that milky white mix into the floury white mix? Stir until just combined. The instructions said "Don't overstir," but I am not entirely sure what that is supposed to mean.


Melt the butter and slowly add it to the batter, stirring while doing so. There is no picture as I was busy pouring and stirring. But I took a picture of the batter in the pan which was greased with more melted butter.


Bake for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, heat the beans and prepare a salad. If you haven't enjoyed a luxurious birthday brunch at a friend's, you may want to add some sausages or other meat to brush up the calory scale. And to have something for let's say a geek who is not so much into anything related to cornmeal. Like cornbread for example.


Conclusion: I like. But I usually like all things mildly sweet and I can live with cornmeal. I like it as a really nice, wintery meal that warms me from the inside. And now that week 35 is over, the closest the geek will have to come near cornmeal is being on the opposite side of my plate's side of the table. Good luck for him, more cornbread for me.

Guten Appetit!

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen