1. Februar 2011

Week 43/52: Greek Style Baked Fish

When thinking about vegetarian dinners, I get stuck because they don't feature meat. What can I say, LaMama makes a roast and meatballs on the side. And it is also quite telling fish never crossed my mind when I tortured it for vegetarian delights. I am not a fish person. The geek, however, is a fish person. Luckily, I am a very nice person and fishly in love with him, so he gets fish every once in a while. Like here, or here.

The Greek cookbook featured a lovely recipe for traditional, baked fish which I altered a bit to suit the content of my kitchen. And here we go: Greek Style Baked Fish.

You need:
a fish filet, about 400 g of bass, bream or something other "fat fish" (don't ask me, I am not the fish person)
5 Tsp olive oil
2 onions, sliced into rings
2 garlic cloves, chopped
2 carrots, sliced
1 leek, sliced
1 celery, sliced
200 ml white whine
400 g canned, chopped tomatoes
salt, pepper, 2 Tsp freshly chopped parsley and 1 tsp freshly chopped marjoram
1 lemon, sliced

How to:
Preheat the oven to 180°C and chop garlic till you drop.


In 4 Tsp olive oil, sauté the onions and the garlic for about 5 minutes.


Chop the rest of the vegetables.


Add and sauté for another 5 to 10 minutes. You don't want it to get to soft, so watch out and don't start the drinking yet.


But open that bottle of white wine and taste. You don't want to use wine that has gone bad, so that is just a precautionary measure. Yes indeed.


Add the wine to the vegetables and allow to cook. I used my glass for measuring as I didn't care too much about the exact amount of wine in my vegetables.


Add the tomatoes and a few of the lemon slices. Season with salt and pepper and let it cook for about 20 minutes. 5 minutes before the end, add parsley and marjoram.


In a buttered pan, arrange the fish in the middle and pour the vegetables around it. Cover the fish with the onion slices and bake for about 45-60 minutes, depending on the amount of fish. For our 450 g, we gave it a good 45 minutes.


In the meantime, I cooked some potatoes as I am not a rice person either and made a green salad to go along. And continued tasting the wine to prevent serving bad wine. Worked just fine.


I have to admit that rice may have been better. Or bread. But I liked the potatoe-vegetable mix, so nothing to worry about if you are not a rice person either.

This dish will surely come up again when I am in my fish mood about once a year. I would have thought that the lemon lingers much more about the fish, as lemon juice is usually my way of escaping the fish taste. But here it is just a subtle nuance which compliments the fish just fine. And the vegetable part has that typical Greek, sweetish tomatoish taste to it that made me fall in love with Greek kitchen. All in all: like.

Guten Appetit.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen