16. März 2011

Week 49/52: Bergischer Pillekuchen

When I was in Dusseldorf some days ago, I ate the most delicious potatoe pancake thing I ever had. After I had returned to the Castle Grayskull, I could not stop phantasizing about it. So I searched for the recipe and made it. It was not at all as I had experienced it before, but good enough to become a favorite.

The dish is originally from the Bergisches Land not so far away from the emperor's town and there seem to be endless variations which have the potatoe pancake in common. The rest is open for innovation, I guess.

For 1 Pillekuchen I used:
1/2 onion, chopped
3 smoked ham slices, chopped
several small potatoes, sliced (I advise you to dice them...)
salt and pepper
1 egg
50 ml milk
30 g flour
parsley, salt, pepper and chive

First, chop the onion as well as the bacon/ham and fry it in some butter. I love butter.


Now slice as many potatoes and you think would feed you well. I used too many, but I was distracted by that butter smell. I would advise you to not only slice the potatoes as if making french fries, but to actually dice them. That facilitates the pancake part a lot...


Add the potatoes to the pan and fry them for about 8 minutes or so. Breathe in as much buttery smell as you can. Lovely how the bacon smell adds to the overall excitment, right?


In the meantime, mix the batter and pour it over the potatoes. Mix everything very quickly and let it sit for as long as it needs. Flip after a while to bake both sides of the pancake. It does not look at all as it did in Dusseldorf, but am I a chef? I don't think so.


Flip.


Eat


Yummy yummy. It had been a really lousy day when I made it but it had me feel much better right a way. I will definitely make that again, I love it already. And it would like a salad on the side, but I was not at all in the mood for greens. And beer. Or wine. Or anything. I guess it is the Dalai Lama of dishes, goes well with everything.

Guten Appetit.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen