28. März 2011

Week 51/52: Puff Pastry with Salmon and Olives

So just a week from finishing my recipe project, I almost missed the week's deadline! We had plans for a brunch with friends and I had planned to make whatever puff pastry recipe would pop up in my head as I had wanted to do something with puff pastry for a very long time. But then: time somehow ran by so fast and after sitting in the sun with my first coffee that morning, it was about time to leave the house to avoid a too late arrival.

So I invented and made those puff pastry muffins with salmon and olives for myself and the geek later that day. Worked out fine, I wouldn't want to share them now!

All you need is a ready-made puff pastry dough and some other things.

For 1 dough which makes 12 muffins, you need:
2 spring onions, sliced
1 egg
a handfull of black onions, cut into rings or chopped
2 slices of salmon, cut into very thin stripes or choppped
2 Tsp cream cheese
salt and pepper
parsley
another egg

Preheat the oven to 175°C.
Cut or chop the onions and the olives. Add them to the beaten egg.


Whisk and add the cream cheese. Use only just enough or as much as needed to make it a not too soupy but also stirable mix. Then season with salt and pepper and add the parsley, too.


Add the salmon and combine everything to a smooth filling that should not be overly soupy.


Roll out the dough and use a glass or mug to cut out rounds of about 8-10 cm diameter. The larger the better. Place them in the rounds on the muffin sheet and fill the mix into the dough shells. Cove with the excess dough or, if you cut out larger rounds, press the ends together over the filling.


It all depends on how much you have left and how large your cut out pieces are. Originally, I had wanted to make empanadilla-style half circles, but the cut outs where so small, that I could not fold them over the filling. The muffin part was just a rescue...


Beat that other egg and brush or pour it over the individual muffins. Bake for about 15 minutes. You don't want them too brown.


They are ideal as a snack and I am sure they would have been great for our brunch, but...


I was a bit afraid that they'd turn out too crispy or dry from all the pastry, but it worked out fine! And there is not too much filling later to make the muffins overly dangerous for people with a dripping problem either, which is great, but they are just light and fresh.

They are great as a mid-day snack in the office, too, just to let you know...

Guten Appetit!

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen