14. Dezember 2011

Brussel Sprouts in a Cream Sauce

We haven't cooked together in quite a while, I know. Lately I have been making a lot of vegetarian, strongly vegetable based dishes and today I am ready to admit: I heart brussel sprouts. There, I said it, you can start throwing rotten tomatoes.

I know that most people feel a bit biased about brussel sprouts, but just think of them with their German name - rose cabbage - and they sound so much more friendly. And I think they make a perfect fall-winterish dish.

Today I tried a version of a recipe I read about over at smitten kitchen, just without some and with some other. Here we go:

Enough brussel sprouts for one
3 mushrooms, sliced
1 onion, sliced
100 ml vegetable broth
nutmeg, salt, pepper, paprika
100 ml cream
some grated cheese for sprinkling

I first trimmed the sprouts and halved them. This is about as much as you need for one moderatly hungry, pregnant lady.


Next, I browned them - cut side down - in butter for about 5 minutes. Everything is better with butter. The suggestion at smitten kitchen was to place the sprouts in one layer only, which was fine for my one persion dish, but if you cook for more, you may need to brown them in batches.


In the meantime, I sliced some mushrooms, an onion and prepared about a coffee cup of vegetable broth.


The broth I added to the sprouts and let them simmer for another five to ten minutes, until not too mushy. Which should be about 10 to 15 minutes.


Then I removed the sprouts and threw both onion and mushroom slices into the broth to let them simmer for a few minutes until the onion rings were glassy.


Cream. Always a good follower for butter. So I added about 100 ml and brought it to a boil.


I seasoned that sauce heavily with nutmeg, pepper, salt, both sweet and spicy paprika and even added some sliced almonds before I returned the sprouts to the pan.


I let it all sit for about 5 minutes, remembering the happy times when it was ok to use lots of alcohol during cooking and drinking the leftovers in between cooking steps. One day. Next year...

As I don't drink alcohol, I felt free to add some grated cheese on top and voilá: Brussel Sprouts in a Cream Mushroom Sauce which I imagine would be perfect to accompany a chilled white wine.


Such a nice diversion from the regular dish with bacon, toasted nuts, breadcrumbs etc. How good to know that there is a sufficient batch of sprouts in the fridge for tomorrow.

Guten Appetit.

1 Kommentar:

  1. Nein, gefällt mir nicht ... ich gehöre zu der Rosenkohl-verachtenden Gruppe ;-)

    AntwortenLöschen