23. Dezember 2011

Forget about walnuts

The other day, I found that ready-made puff pastry in the fridge that I had bought for no reason other than wanting to buy ready-made puff pastry. And lucky me, I found it before its expiration date hit. So fate dictated my choice of lunch.

For a spinach-broccoli-salmon-puff-pastry with feta cheese, you need this:


I used about:
150 g spinach
half a bunch of broccoli
lots of herbs
1 onion, chopped
1 egg
100 g feta cheese
150 g yoghurt
1 salmon filet
some walnuts that were left in the bag from making cookies

However, you may want to omit walnuts and replace them with pine nuts.


First, I turned on the oven to about 175°C and then I fried the onions and lots of herbs in olive oil in a large pan and tossed both the spinach and the broccoli in that yummy smelling dump for about 5 minutes.

In the meantime, I whisked the egg with the yoghurt, added lots of salt, pepper and paprika and then crumbled the feta cheese on top. The walnuts were crushed with my mighty hands, added to the yoghurt mix and then I whisked some more. The mixture then went onto the greens and stayed there until I had the pie form ready.

I unrolled the puff-pastry which came on a sheet of baking paper, so I just left it on that paper and placed it in a pie form. Everything I had dealt with so far went into that puff-pastry nest. If you are in the mood, you can arrange the salmon in a pretty pattern. Or you can just place it in there somewhere. I was in the mood.


Then I folded the edges over the inside, cutting off the excess pastry which I used to cover the greens where there was no pastry yet. Basically, in the end, there should be dough underneath, above and around the inside. I also remembered to use a fork to pick holes into the dough to release excess heat and moisture.  Look at me, all professional.

After about 15 - 20 minutes in the oven, it looked like this. Not too bad, hugh?


It fed me two days in a row, so for a two-person or more dinner you should reconsider the amounts of everything and maybe even use a regular cake pan with higher edges to allow for a much higher pile. Inside, it looked like this.


It tasted very yummy until I hit the walnuts. Trust me: forget about the walnuts. Use pine nuts. Or no nuts. But don't use walnuts. You can, however, use walnuts, if you really want to. You won't die.

Guten Appetit.

Kommentare:

  1. That looks delicious!
    Happy Holidays!

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. Irgendeinen blöden Spruch wollt ich gestern schreiben, aber nu frag ich mich doch, ob Sie schon mit Wulfiline beschäftigt sind, oder einfach ganz feste feiern.

    Beides wäre fein, solange es Ihnen gut geht : )

    s Faultier

    AntwortenLöschen
  3. Ne, Sid, alles gut, nur muss ich mir so oft die Nase putzen, dass ich nicht zum Tippen komme. Plätzchen essen geht allerdings ;-)

    AntwortenLöschen
  4. Dann fein so - habs grad gelesen, gute Besserung!

    Sid

    AntwortenLöschen