26. November 2012

Pork Stew with Apples

Aren't those days of infant vomiting the best to remember yesterday's feast of pork stew with apples? I think so, too, and here we are.

I haven't done a lot of mind and soul soothing cooking lately, which is in part due to the infants arrival and in part to my laziness, but on Sunday I found myself in such a mood for a season celebrating dish that I couldn't ignore my French cookbook anylonger. And this is what happened:

A pork stew with apples and cider.

Don't you just love recipes with alcohol among the most important ingredients? They hardly ask for a full bottle, so what else to do but finish it while cooking? Right. I heart cider. Especially in fall.

I sautéd about 800 g of salted and peppered pork cubes, added about 300 ml of cider and let that mix simmer for 30 minutes. During those 30 minutes, I not only almost finished that bottle of cider, but peeled and sliced 4 apples into eight pieces each, peeled and sliced in half 300 g of echalottes nonetheless. And read through an entire weekend of my blogroll. These I browned in a tablespoon of butter and 50 g brown sugar, adapting the recipe to the content of my spice drawer. Which featured neither cinnamon nor sage, but three containers of cloves. Yeah.

That went into the stew, too, for another 30 minutes. Ample time to cuddle the infant, watch Sebastian Vettel score his third world championship and prepare both wild rice and a lamb's lettuce.

But the greatest part about that recipe? Just about 30 seconds into his second mouthful, the geek ordered it again for another day. Any day, to be precise. I love it, when he loves my cooking.


So this one will appear again on that polka-dot tablecloth. It perfectly fits the season, warms heart and soul, feeds a little less than four (there was enough for one not so hungry one today) and gives you the opportunity to taste your way through many ciders for scientific research.

Guten Appetit!

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen