15. November 2012

The pasta sardine salad epiphany

In retrospect, it may not have been the best idea to try a new pasta salad recipe right with that first morning coffee if that recipe involves lots of garlic, anchovies and lemon. Too late.

How very food bloggeresque of me, taking a picture of my lunch.

But after some gagging and choking, it worked out just fine. I had been looking for a new pasta salad recipe for quite a while and finally found one in a barbecue cookbook. There are anchovies in it and as I had never made something with anchovies before, I thought I'd give it a try.

Unfortunately, I did not have anchovies. Canned sardines had to fill in. I also didn't have any fresh basil leaves, so dried ones had to fill in. Missing as well: lemon. But lucky me found that one of those sardine cans features a wondrous lemon marinade. All set to go I was.

For my variation, you need:

250 g penne, cooked al dente
2 cans of sardines, one with just oil, the other with a hint of lemon
1 garlic clove, pressed
2 Tsp olive oil
7 Tsp whie balsamic vinegar
pepper to season (no salt as the sardines tend to be quite salty)
3 bell peppers, best in green and red, cut into thin stripes
dried, chopped basil leaves

While the penne cooks, cut the bell peppers into thin stripes about the length of the penne. That makes handling of the salad much easier once on your plate. For the marinade, squish 1/2 can of the sardines and mix with the other ingredients except for the bell peppers and the basil leaves. Once the penne is al dente, mix everything thoroughly, add a good tablespoon of basil leaves and let the salad marinade for at least an hour. But the longer, the better.

I was quite surprised that I actually fell to liking this salad, given my natural hate fondness of fish in general. But the taste is just somewhat different, so I guess I'll find myself making this again. However, I cannot yet picture me savoring a steak while feeling the stare of some squished sardines in my back. So I don't know whether this will be my choice for the next barbecue. Ever. But until then: welcome to my home, pasta sardine salat.

Guten Appetit!

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen